Breast Reduction is performed to help women with enlarged breasts get a reduced breast size along with a better shape and contour. Breast reduction is commonly requested because large breasts can cause physical and emotional pain. The breast reduction at Straith Clinic helps women to get an improved appearance that they can feel good about.
- 1 What to Expect
- 2 The Procedure
- 3 What Are the Risks?
- 4 How Long is The Recovery from Breast Reduction?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Reduction?
- 5.1 Can breast grow back after reduction?
- 5.2 Do you lose feeling in your nipples after breast reduction?
- 5.3 Do you lose weight after breast reduction?
- 5.4 How can I reduce my cup size?
- 5.5 How do breast reductions work?
- 5.6 How do I know if I need a breast reduction?
- 5.7 How long does it take for swelling to go down after breast reduction?
- 5.8 How long does it take to recover from a breast reduction?
- 5.9 When can I wear a normal bra after breast reduction?
- 5.10 Is it worth getting a breast reduction?
- 5.11 Has anyone had a second breast reduction?
- 5.12 Does insurance pay for breast reduction?
What to Expect
- Anesthesia– Generally with local anesthesia along with IV sedation.
- Length of Surgery- Takes between 2 to 5 hours.
- In/Outpatient-Generally this is done on an outpatient basis at our accredited on-site surgery center.
- Recovery- Back to work:1-2 weeks with some restriction. Strenuous Activity: 6-10 weeks.
- Fading of Scars- Scars should start to fade after several months
- Duration of Results- Breasts should remain a consistent size but gravity, aging, weight fluctuations, or pregnancy could change your breast size.
During the breast reduction procedure excess skin, fat, and breast tissue is removed, the nipple-areola complex is shifted to a higher position, and the leftover skin is moved to reshape the breast. The anchor incision is typically used where it is made around the areola, down to the crease and in the crease beneath the breast. This helps to raise the nipple to a higher position. After the surgery your breasts will be more proportional to your body.
What Are the Risks?
Like any surgery, the breast reduction procedure comes with some risks. During your consultation with Dr. Sabbagh, he will go over all of the potential risks with you to help you make an educated decision about your procedure.
How Long is The Recovery from Breast Reduction?
Dr. Sabbagh will provide a complete list of steps to follow during your breast reduction recovery. The recovery period varies for each patient but typically between 6-10 weeks long before you can return to all activities. Full results may settle in for a couple of months following the operation as your skin still needs time to heal and get used to the new shape and size. The recovery period can be discussed during your consultation with Dr. Sabbagh.
Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Reduction?
Can breast grow back after reduction?
Yes, it is possible for your breasts to become large again after a breast reduction. Usually, this is due to hormonal changes surrounding pregnancy.
Do you lose feeling in your nipples after breast reduction?
Nipple sensitivity can decrease immediately after breast reduction surgery. For most patients, the sensation slowly comes back with time.
Do you lose weight after breast reduction?
There will be some minor weight loss associated with the removal of the excess breast weight. The more important improvement is the size, shape, and contour of the breast along with relief in the neck, back and shoulders.
How can I reduce my cup size?
The surgical option for reducing breast cup size is with a breast reduction surgery.
How do breast reductions work?
A breast reduction is a surgical procedure that removes excess heavy breast tissue while lifting and shaping the breasts.
How do I know if I need a breast reduction?
If you feel that your breasts are large and interfere in daily activities or cause neck, back or shoulder pain, you may benefit from a breast reduction. Set up a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine if you are a good breast reduction candidate.
How long does it take for swelling to go down after breast reduction?
Most postoperative swelling improves in the first few weeks and first month after surgery. Small amounts of swelling will continue to go down over time. By 3 months after surgery, most patients are at their final size.
How long does it take to recover from a breast reduction?
Most patients are ready to return to work after 1-2 weeks. If your job requires heavy lifting or activity, you will need to refrain from performing tasks requiring heavy lifting or heavy activity for 3-6 weeks after surgery.
When can I wear a normal bra after breast reduction?
Most patients are placed in a surgical bra immediately postoperatively. Most patients are ready to return to an underwire bra if desired by 1 month after surgery.
Is it worth getting a breast reduction?
If you are experiencing neck pain, back pain or shoulder pain due to large breasts, or if you have difficulty finding appropriately fitting bras and clothing, or if you have trouble exercising due to the large size of your breasts, a breast reduction surgery may benefit you.
Has anyone had a second breast reduction?
Yes. For some patients, their breasts grow again after breast reduction surgery - usually due to hormonal changes or pregnancy. Sometimes, patients return for a second breast reduction.
Does insurance pay for breast reduction?
Insurance may pay for a breast reduction. This depends on your specific symptoms as well as your specific insurance plan. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for more information.
With an established track record of over 80 years, an accredited facility, and thousands of satisfied patients throughout Dearborn, metro Detroit, Michigan and the U.S., the Straith Clinic has earned an excellent reputation for cosmetic surgery of the face and body.