Protruding Ears (Otoplasty)
Otoplasty of the ears, commonly referred to as ear reduction surgery, ear pinning surgery or surgery to pin the ears back corrects protruding and abnormally positioned ears by moving them closer to the head and improving their contour by reshaping them.
What to Expect
- Anesthesia – Young children: Usually general. Older children or adults: Local with IV sedation or general.
- Length of Surgery – 2 to 3 hours
- In / Outpatient – Usually out-patient in our accredited office operating room suite or in a hospital setting. Children under 16 must have the procedure performed in a hospital setting.
- Recovery – Back to work or school: 5 to 10 days. Strenuous activity, contact sports: 1 to 2 months.
- Duration of Results – Lasts for several years, results vary.
Incisions are made along the back of the ears. A strip of skin is removed from behind the ears. Normal ear contour is formed either by suturing and/or excising the excess cartilage. The ears are not exactly symmetrical before or after your ear surgery.
How old do you have to be?
Otoplasty can be performed anytime after the age of four years old.
Dear Dr William Sabbagh and Staff, I would like to thank all of you for giving me something I never had or felt before “Self Esteem” it is truly speechless and can not be put into words how I now feel about myself. I waited very a long time for this dream to come true,. Thanks again.
What Are the Risks?
No surgical procedure is risk free, and that includes cosmetic surgery like ear surgery. During your consultation with Dr. Sabbagh, he will review the risks so you can make an educated decision. With an established track record of over 80 years, board certified plastic surgeons, an accredited facility, and thousands of satisfied patients throughout Dearborn, metro Detroit, Michigan and the U.S., the Straith Clinic has earned an excellent reputation for cosmetic surgery of the face and body. Call us today at 248-270-5272 or send us an email to schedule a consultation during which you can discuss our facial and body services and tour our facility, including our on-site operating facility.