- 1 Breast Augmentation (Mammoplasty)
- 1.1 What to Expect
- 1.2 The Procedure
- 1.3 Frequently asked questions about breast augmentation
- 1.3.1 What is the difference between breast augmentation and breast lift?
- 1.3.2 What are breast implants made of?
- 1.3.3 Are there different implant sizes?
- 1.3.4 Who are Good candidates for a Breast Augmentation?
- 1.3.5 How Much Do Breast Implants Cost?
- 1.3.6 What type of aftercare is required during breast augmentation recovery?
- 1.3.7 Do I have to wear a bra after breast augmentation surgery?
- 1.3.8 Does breast augmentation leave scars?
- 1.3.9 When will I be able to return to work after my breast augmentation procedure?
- 1.3.10 Can I breastfeed after breast enlargement?
- 1.3.11 Can I continue to exercise after breast augmentation?
- 1.3.12 What are the benefit of breast enlargement?
- 1.3.13 How should I plan my breast augmentation?
- 1.3.14 What risks are associated with breast implants?
Breast Augmentation (Mammoplasty)
Breast augmentation near Dearborn and West Bloomfield is performed to increase the size and fullness of the breasts. Uneven breast sizes may also be improved by the use of different volumes in each breast implants. The exact size of the breast cannot be guaranteed. The size depends upon the amount of tissue available to cover the implant, the patient’s stature and the judgment of the surgeon.
What to Expect
- Anesthesia – Usually local with IV sedation
- Length of Surgery – 1 to 2 hours
- In / Outpatient – Generally out-patient in our accredited on-site surgery center
- Recovery – Back to work: 5 to 7 days with arms restrictions. Physical contact with breasts: 3 to 4 weeks. More strenuous activity: 3 to 6 weeks
- Duration of Results – Variable, implants may require removal or replacement after initial placement
An incision is made in the fold of the skin below the breast. The breast tissue is elevated from the rib cage, a surgical “pocket” is constructed under either the breast tissue or muscle, and the implant placed into this “pocket”.
Saline Implants Vs. Silicone Implants
In the fall of 2006, after rigorous review of data collected over 10 years, the FDA approved silicone gel breast implants for cosmetic breast enlargement. Silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel and saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt (saline) water. Currently, both silicone and saline breast implants in a variety of shapes are utilized at the Straith Clinic. Dr. Sabbagh will discuss with you the advantages and disadvantages among saline implants, traditional gel silicone, and the next generation of silicone – cohesive gel implants, also known as gummy bear implants.
Words cannot begin to express my gratitude for the excellent job you did with my breast augmentation. Dr. Sabbagh you have such a nice and professional demeanor I felt comfortable immediately. The staff was courteous and welcoming and somebody was always available to answer questions and put any and all of my worries to rest. I put this surgery off for so many years because the thought of surgery was so scary. I researched and looked into so many doctors before choosing you and I have to say that trusting in you and your staff was the best decision I could have ever made.
What are the Risks?
No surgical procedure is risk free and that includes cosmetic surgery like breast augmentation surgery. During your consultation with Dr. Sabbagh, he will review the risks so you can make an educated decision. With an established track record of over 80 years, an accredited facility, and thousands of satisfied patients throughout Dearborn, metro Detroit, Michigan and the U.S., the Straith Clinic has earned an excellent reputation for cosmetic surgery of the face and body.
How long is recovery from breast augmentation?
During recovery from breast augmentation surgery, patients can often return to work within 5-7 days, resume physical contact with the breast after 3-4 weeks, and resume strenuous activity after 3-6 weeks. Recovery can be discussed during your breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Sabbagh.